Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Freezing Onions and Garlic

One of the things that I tried to do before we left on vacation for a month was eat up the food we had in the fridge and as much as we could out of the freezer.  As good as my intentions were, I still had about 2 kilos of onions and 3 or 4 heads of garlic.  I know onions and garlic keep a long time, but with the humidity here I wasn't going to take my chances on coming back to a heaping slime mold of grossness.

Freezing Onions and Garlic


I minced the garlic and put it in the zipper bag which I then sealed most of the way. I left a tiny opening so that the air could escape while I pressed it out into a very thin layer with my hands.  I then sealed it up and tossed it into he freezer. You can do onions the same way.  Just leave a little hole in the bag while you flatten the air out and make a nice flat bag.  Since we usually use red onions in slices rather than diced, I just sliced them and did the same thing.  I find that if you freeze them in flat layers it is a lot easier to break off a corner rather than trying to chunk away at a big ball of onion or garlic.  I think they freeze faster that way too!

For more great tips check out Kitchen Tips Tuesday, hosted by Tammy

10 comments:

mamabearscubhouse.com said...

thank you! i have two bags of onions stareing at me in my kitchen..i'd rather freeze then let them go unused.

Unknown said...

I've been doing this with onions for a few months, wish I had learned it years ago. I never thought about doing it with garlic. Thanks for the great tip!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea...it's a money saver too!

Kristen said...

Thank you!
What a wonderful idea - and how handy to have everything diced, minced and ready to go! I will work to add this to my "after grocery shopping chores!"

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I try to do this too. I was just going to comment on your comment about scaling down OAMC for 2 people. I might just recommend that you pick 8 or so meals and just fix one of each meal and divide that meal in half so you actually would have 2 of each meal since most meals usually serve 4-6 people. This is just a thought!

Kim Myers said...

SOmething I do is.....cut the garlic or onions and put them on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them and then put them in the baggie in the freezer. Then you can measure out what you need without it being a big ice blob. Unless you need the amount you froze in the bag at one time!

Noodle said...

I love freezing things flat cause they make your freezer easyer to organize... And you know how organized I am hehehe... No but really thats the only way I can find things in my freezer is if its organized if not things get freezer brunt cause I can't find them and forget about them... Thoses poor sad chickens.... Oh how I'm sorry that I forgot...

grey said...

My neighbor minces her garlic and freezes each clove in a separate ice cube tray well. Then she piles them all into a bag and can just take out pre-measured bits. She's a genius, really.

John and Lisa said...

Great tip. Every little bit helps to save time and money!

Tasha said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Great ideas! I try to do that after I come home from the grocery store, that way meals are super easy the night I make them.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails