Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blackie the Sewing Machine

Big thanks to my dear darling sweet husband who made my Vintage Thingie Thursday post last week! I should have him post more often.

I have done a couple of posts on my sewing machines, but this old girl belongs to my mom.

Let me introduce you to Blackie!

Blackie

She's no wimp, I think her motor is bigger than my car's engine.

Blackie's Guts

I did a little bit of reasearch and found that she was manufactured 1937. If you have an old Singer machine that you'd like to know the manufacture date of, go to the Singer Website and enter in your model number.

Blackie's Badge

You can also download a PDF form that indicates the month of manufacture, the number of machines made in that batch and the plant it was produced in. Blackie was made in a group of 5000 machines. I assume that this lower number was due to the fact that she's an industrial machine and not a "home" machine.

I must say this is THE best sewing machine I've ever stitched on... well, after I decided she was safe to sew on. When my mom first brought her home I was pretty sure I'd sew my fingers off if I even attempted to stich on her. Martijn might very well STILL think that, although he did a rather spiffy job on the small project he used her for.

Stitching on Blackie

If Blackie didn't weigh approximately NINETYBILLION POUNDS, I probably would try to figure out how to get her here... she can run on 220v afterall!

Full shot

Check out more fun Vintage Thingie Thursday over at Coloradolady's blog!

17 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I have my grandmother's sewing machine and it is a black one too!!! Mine is in a pretty wooden cabinet which it folds down into and doesn't show when not in use.

I haven't used it in so long I don't know if it would still work or not.

Unknown said...

How great that you are still using this machine. The new ones are so complicated, I just want to be able to sew a straight line!

Postcardy said...

They had black sewing machines at school when I took home ec. Today I went to the Salvation Army store to donate stuff. They had an old treadle machine in a cabinet with ornate metal pieces. It was the "White" brand. I didn't ask if it worked.

Donna said...

great sewing machine!!

Unknown said...

Ohhh Blackie is gorgeous!!

SueLovesCherries said...

They just don't make 'em like they used to, huh?

Coloradolady said...

I agree with Elizabeth the new ones are so complicated and well.....you can buy a car for the price of some.

I signed up for a quilting class, and all these ladies are using Bernina high dollar machines...mine is a old clunker...but it works! The lady I sit next to said hers cost $6000.000 three years ago....HUH!!! Sorry, I can not afford that.....The owner of the shop is so sure he will sell me a machine after the class ends in 6 weeks..he has another think coming!!

Have a great week mub!

Noodle said...

I love blackie... I still remeber your mom letting me sew a little dress on her... She is so fast... I got a little scared she would eat my fingers but I got over it quickly... I just need a seam gauage so I know where my 5/8th seam allowance is... Tell you mom thank you for trusting me enough to use her!

Becky said...

I love it, love it, love it!! May I come over to your house to sew!?!

Do you have other vintage sewing machines?

Sonya said...

Wow that is a beautiful sewing machine!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

oh boy.. i love old sewing machine.. my grandma got one.. hmmm I might ask her if she could let go the machine to me.. yours look so great! and to be able to use it even better!

Spotted Sparrow said...

She is a beauty! Have you tried looking at some local flea markets? I usually see at least one old sewing machine (with table) when I go.

Breigh said...

WOW That is an oldie!! My nana left me her sewing machine, I'm not sure what kind it is exactly but it is home at my parents place. I doubt I'll ever get it over here. It's one that drops down into the table etc.

Roslyn said...

Love antique sewing machines, I have four, including an early 1900's New Home Treadle Parlor cabinet model that sews a perfect stitch!
Oh, gotta try those cookies, they look deadly,lol.

Anonymous said...

We had an old one that was just bare metal colour. It also had a table really similar yours and a huge motor. It also had the mechanism where you could power it with your feet on grill under it if you unhooked the motor and hooked up the mechanism. My great grandmother used it but after she died it just took up space and my dad eventually got rid of it.

Anonymous said...

The old machines are so much better. Mine is a late 60s Pfaff and I love it. It came with an booklet filled with frightening 1960s mod clothing patterns, too. I think it could very well sew through aluminum flashing.

Not to be gory, but my mother (an upholsterer) really *did* sew her fingers through on an old machine like that. So, while I'm sure Blackie is very sweet and gentle-mannered, don't get hypnotized!

Peggy said...

They sure don't make them like they used to! I understand the fear of being sewn up. I did a number on myself when I was younger and sewing doll clothes on my mom's old Pfaff. Not only did I sew myself up, I had to get a tetnis shot because of it! Getting poked more than once in a day is torture for me (or getting poked at all, for that matter).
That machine sure looks fun to use.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails