Monday, December 14, 2009

Daring Cooks Challenge: Salmon en Croute

I failed at getting November's Daring Cooks Challenge of sushi done, so I vowed to get this month's done and I was quite glad I did.

The December 2009 Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Simone of Junglefrog Cooking. Simone chose Salmon en Croute (or alternative recipes for Beef Wellington or Vegetable en Croute) from Good Food Online.

Salmon en Croute

Equipment required:
For the Salmon en croute
oven
food processor
rolling pin

Salmon en croute:
Ingredients
Mascarpone or cream cheese 5.2 ounces/150 gr
Watercress, rocket (arugula) and spinach - 0.6 cup/4.2 ounces/120 gr
Shortcrust pastry (recipe below) - 17.6 ounces, 500 gr.Salmon fillet (skinless)- 17.6 ounce/500 gr
egg - 1 medium sized

Directions:
1.Heat the oven to 200°C/390 F. Put the mascarpone or cream cheese in a food processor with the watercress, spinach and rocket and whizz the lot until you have a creamy green puree. Season well.
2. Roll the pastry out so you can wrap the salmon in it completely (approx. 2-3 mm thick) and lay it on a buttered or oiled baking sheet (it will hang over the edges). Put the salmon in the middle. If it has a thinner tail end, tuck it under. Spoon half of the watercress mixture onto the salmon. Now fold the pastry over into a neat parcel (the join will be at the top, so trim the edge neatly), making sure you don’t have any thick lumps of pastry as these won’t cook through properly. Trim off any excess as you need to. Make 3 neat cuts in the pastry to allow steam to escape and make some decorations with the off-cuts to disguise the join if you like. Brush with the egg glaze.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and browned. To test wether the salmon is cooked, push a sharp knife through one of the cuts into the flesh, wait for 3 seconds then test it against the inside of your wrist; if it is hot, the salmon is cooked. Serve with the rest of the watercress puree as a sauce.

Shortcrust pastry*:
While this is not mandatory to do, I highly recommend making your own shortcrust pastry as it is very simple to do! As mentioned in the notes; please make sure to not add too much water as that is the key to having a successful shortcrust pastry.

Ingredients:
450 gr (15.8 ounces or 3.2 cups ) of plain all purpose flour
200 gr ( 7 ounce) cold butter
pinch of salt

Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. If you have a food processor you can use that as shown in the above video.
Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp of water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.

For best results make sure the butter is very cold.

*I used frozen puff pastry because it was more simple and allowed me to actually get this challenge done!

The Verdict: This was really very good and suprisingly simple. I'll certainly make it again! I couldn't get my hands on watercress so I used another from the garden cress in hopes that would impart a similar flavor. I also squeezed a bit of lemon juice into the cheese mixture. I think 30 minutes was probably plenty of time for the salmon to finish cooking and I'll probably take it out at 25 minutes next time.

7 comments:

Wic said...

I think your version looks delicious. I adore the flaky fish and the sides too look tasty. great job.

chef_d said...

Oh yummy that you used puff pastry, I will try making another one with that for Christmas dinner :)

Valérie said...

Really nice job! I also really like your picture!

cuppy said...

"For best results" indeed!! I had fails when I didn't keep things cold. It looks like your pastry cooked perfectly (I don't see any "wet spots" on the bottom). I'm jealous!

Well done!

Simon said...

Looks like your one cooked rather nicely. Nice work :)

Claudya Martinez said...

All I can say is, "Wow!"

Julia said...

You have a lot of neat recipes here. Great way to eat fish!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails