Monday, January 18, 2010

Menu Plan Monday- January 18, 2010

I have somehow ended up with about 73lbs of dried chickpeas, so if you have any fabulous ideas for them I would LOVE to hear them!



Martijn's dinner group is here this week so that means HE will be cooking for ME. No complaints there.

Baked Falafel- See aforementioned reference to 73lbs of chickpeas.

Pork Chops- I found a good recipe to make for FNCCC, so I'll post about it on Wednesday.

Baked Fish with Salsa- I'm going to use a salsa chicken recipe and replace the chicken with fish. I can't forsee anything horrible happening, can you?

Boerenkool Stamppot- This is a good Dutch winter dish that's basically potatoes smashed with curly kale and served with a rookworst (type of smoked sausage).

Fresh Pasta & Sauce- This is my fast go-to meal for when I don't feel like doing anything except boiling water for dinner.

8 comments:

Dallas said...

My favorite thing to do with chickpeas is to make hummus. Yum! You can also use them in soups, salads, and chili.

Vonlipi said...

wow! 73 pounds of dried chickpeas! I like pasta e ceci, an italian chickpea and pasta soup.http://italianfood.about.com/b/2007/02/08/leonardo-romanellis-pasta-e-ceci-an-illustrated-recipe.htm

and hummus too, but I don't have a recipe for it.

Please do write about how you came to have 73 pounds of chickpeas and what you do with them!

Wizardress said...

I have to agree with Dallas- HUMMUS!! Plus I saw once on Rachel Ray where she took canned chickpeas (you could cook these) and then roasted them in a skillet and made little crunchy snacks. I thought they sounded good!

They are also good in salad. I made a chickpea salad once with green onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, black olives and a dressing with olive oil, lemon and seasonings. It was REALLY good, or at least I thought so. Oh it also had fets.

I* love borenkool, but I've also been cooking the curly kale alone and eating it like that. It's also YUMMy!

Marcel is not a fan of that method lol and prefers his with potatoes and 'worst'.

Have you ever made the toutjes vlees is what Marcel's moms calls it.. It's lean what we would call round steak.. slow cooked til it falls apart. It has beef boullion, apple, onion, garlic, juniper berries (just a few) and some crumbled "kruiden koek" I make mine without butter but my m-i-l does not. When it all cooks down and the sauce reduces it is a great 'jus' for the borenkool, hutspot or any one of those other yummy comfort dishes.

4 Lettre Words said...

Great idea for the fish!

We're having fresh pasta & sauce tomorrow night. Love it!

Unknown said...

The smashed potato and sausage dish sounds great! Stopping by from SITS

Corrie Howe said...

I've used chickpeas to make my own hummus. Yum!

Orange said...

I have tried my hand at Dutch dishes, almost always ending up giving them my own touch :) So they never seem true Dutch to me..good post, am getting some nice ideas!!

Vivi said...

I love chickpeas too. This weekend I made what I'll call White Turkey Chili. It was completely made up but the whole family loved it. Basically, it's cooked turkey breast(chopped), onions, yellow peppers, chickpeas, and corn made into a chili with chicken bouillon, chili powder, a little flour as thickener, and water. To stretch the leftovers to be enough for all 4 of us, I added quinoa which next time I will do from the start.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails