Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Baked Sweet Potato Fries & Avocado Dip

This week's FNCCC chef is Ingrid Hoffmann. I had a hard time choosing which recipe I wanted to make but something about this one grabbed me so I went with it!

Sweet Potato Fries & Avocado Dip

Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Avocado Dip
Courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann

Sweet Potato Fries
Ingredients
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into 4-inch long and 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick fries
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Coarse ground rock salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Avocado Dip, recipe follows
Directions

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (I find parchment works better for stuff like this) and set aside.

Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and toss with olive oil until the sweet potatoes are coated. Add the paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, and pepper; toss to distribute evenly.

Arrange the coated fries in a single layer on the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes on the lower rack until the sweet potatoes soften. Transfer the pan to the upper rack of the oven and bake 10 minutes longer, until fries are crispy.

My oven only has one rack, so obviously I didn't switch from the lower to the upper rack. I did use the broiler for the last 10 minutes or so to make them crispy. Unfortunately that was in the mid-afternoon and by dinner they'd turned a little mushy so eat them right away if you want crispy fries!

Avocado Dip
Ingredients:
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup cream cheese
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I used jarred)
  • 2 scallions, white and light green part only, chopped
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the avocado, mayonnaise, cream cheese, jalapeno, scallions, and lime juice into a blender or small food processor. Blend for 1 minute or until you have a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve as a dip for the Sweet Potato Oven Fries.


THE VERDICT: These were good! The dip was also really good, and it tasted even better the second day. I think next time I make it (and there will be a next time) I'll try subbing sour cream (maybe yoghurt) for the mayonnaise. This would make a good chip or veggie dip too. Four thumbs up on this one!

10 comments:

Candi said...

This looks good. I love guacamole and the dip looks similar! Great job!

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

There we go again. The broiler tip would have been a great idea, if I were as smart as you, lol. I so agree these are awesome as is the dip and totally agree sour cream or yogurt would be awesome! I am not a huge fan of mayo. So what do you have planned for next week?? Or should we surprise each other, ha ha.

Susie said...

I am going to have to make these! You are the second person I have seen today making them:-)

SnoWhite said...

Thanks for the tip about parchment paper; I make these fries all the time, and haven't been happy with the tinfoil!

brainella said...

I love sweet potatoes. Maybe I can get the males in my house to eat them by making them like this!

Claudya Martinez said...

I love sweet potato fries!!!

Alea Milham said...

My family loves sweet potatoes. It will be fun to surprise them with a new dish.

I appreciate that you try out all of these recipes and share what you learned with us. Makes my life much easier!

Sarah said...

I'm glad both reviews gave this a thumbs up. I can't wait to try this. Avocados are a sale this week so it is timely. I might be the only one in the family eating these but it's a chance I am willing to take!

NKP said...

I love everything about this! We eat a lot of sweet potatoes lately, and love, love, love avocados.

Teresa said...

This is one of my family's favorite recipes. :-)The dip is amazing and I really like the idea for subbing sour cream. I will definitely try that next time. :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails