Thursday, February 04, 2010

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

It seems that the Dutch don't typically appreciate the delightful combination of peanut butter and chocolate. The result of this is that peanut butter cups are in rather short supply and when you can find them they're not cheap. Martijn loves them though and since he's been having busyness and stress at work I decided I'd make some for him. Luxe dark chocolate peanut butter cups! He better know that I love him.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

I didn't have individual paper cups, so mine might not be "authentic" with the ridged edges, but they tasted darn good if you ask me! Graham crackers are also something that I've only found in expensive expat shops, so you can crush up digestive biscuits or "Maria" cookies as a substitute. You can also use Dr Oetker's Mix voor Kruimelbodem which can be found in most supermarkets with the baking supplies.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
Makes about 24 mini cups

300 grams (10.5 ounces) chocolate (dark chocolate, milk chocolate, bars, chips, whatever you'd like to use)
85 grams (1/3 cup) peanut butter
30 grams (1/4 cup) finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
Powdered sugar, to taste

You'll also need mini muffin tins or mini muffin paper cups. I used little silicone ones so I could pop the little cups out.

Melt your chocolate and "paint" it onto the muffin cups with a new clean paintbrush or a little pastry brush. Make sure to give them a pretty substantial coating on the bottom since it will be the base and if it's too thin it'll break when you take the peanut butter cups out. Put them in the fridge for a good half hour so they can cool and harden.

While the chocolate cups are cooling, mix together the peanut butter and crumbs. Add sugar to taste. If you use sweetened peanut butter you won't need much. I think I used about 2 tablespoons for our unsweetened peanut butter. Roll the peanut butter mixture into little balls and place inside the chocolate cups. Finally, spoon more melted chocolate on top to completely cover the peanut butter.

Cool in the fridge for another half an hour and then enjoy!

6 comments:

brainella said...

I'd love you too if you made these for me! :) Yum-O!

Noodle said...

now I know what to send to you if I ever get aound to sending you something... I might have to try this recipe it sounds yummy!!! And my hubby loves peanut butter cups too!!!

Andrea said...

You can also make them without the crushed graham crackers. That's how we made ours and they turned out very tasty. Yours look very yummy!

Anonymous said...

I made my own last year, too. I didn't use the crumbs, and I also just used bits of foil shaped into cup shapes, since I didn't have any mini pans on hand. I was impressed by just how well they turned out!

Mrs4444 said...

Yummmmmm.

4 Lettre Words said...

Have I told you lately that you're so cool!?!

Wish I had one right now...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails