Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicken & Chorizo Sandwiches with Fried Peppers

This week will be my thirty-first Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge post! I had no idea we'd been doing this quite so long already. I've managed to make & post something from every single chef so far (minus one... I made the recipe and didn't post it, oops!). This week brings us to Robin Miller. She has a lot of great looking recipes and I love that they're so fast to make!! Lately I haven't been feeling like spending quite so much time cooking so these quick recipes I'm finding just make me feel HAPPY! I made Chicken and Sausage Sandwiches with Fried Bell Peppers (uh, longest recipe title ever?).

Sausage, Chicken, Peppers & Onion Sandwich

Chicken and Sausage Sandwiches with Fried Bell Peppers
Courtesy Robin Miller

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided (skipped this and used the grease from frying the chorizo instead)
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
1 cup onion sliced into half-moons
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound cooked shredded chicken
1 cup diced chorizo, andouille, or other cooked spicy sausage (I used chorizo)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 long rolls (submarine or hoagie rolls)

Directions

I fried the chorizo first and then set it aside until it's added later

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (again, just used the grease from the chorizo). Add the bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sausage and vinegar and cook for 1 minute to heat through.

Using tongs, arrange the chicken mixture on the open rolls, top with the fried peppers and serve.

The Verdict: The title of Robin Miller's show is called Quick Fix and this was most certainly a quick fix. If I would've had cooked chicken on hand I would've had dinner done in 15 minutes so I was quite happen with that! The flavor of the balsamic really set this off from anything else similar that I've tried. We both really liked it but also thought the bread needs -something- before the meat goes onto it. It's a little dry otherwise. I also think that this would be good over rice or just by itself too!

7 comments:

Susie said...

That looks and sounds like something I would really enjoy:-)

Sarah said...

I would like it over rice....or on a buttered and toasted roll :) I like the simplicity of this recipe. Easy to throw together.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Sausage sandwiches with peppers is one of my favorite summertime meals.

Ticia said...

I love chorizo! I would have done the same changes you did. This recipe kind of reminds me of Phillie steak subs.

Connie said...

This looks yummy!!!
Kudos to you for your dedication to this Food Network project!!!
Take care!!!

Wizardress said...

BBQ sauce.. hehe YUMMO!

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Looks delicious, I somehow missed your post this week. I had to laugh because I think my recipe had the longest title ever, too!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails