Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tuna Salad

I sorta went off on my own this week in regards to the Food Network Chefs Cooking Challenge. I took the Tuna Everything Bagel recipe from Tyler Florence and made it my own! Sorta... well, not really but I did change a few things.

Tuna Salad

First, you might notice that the bagel is missing. Actually you might be noticing the whole "sandwich" aspect of the thing is missing. I wish I had a cool story about ninjas stealing my camera so I couldn't photograph the actual sandwich, but we were hungry and ate them before I even thought of taking a picture! The lovely tomato guarded tuna salad photo above is from my dinner night when Martijn was out with friends. It's the same salad, minus the sandwich part. Anyhow, I've seen bagels here before but not been compelled to buy them. I used these whole wheat "bake at home" breads that I like for sandwiches like this. Secondly, I did not artfully sling red onion rings over the top of my tuna salad tower like the photo on the Food Network site shows. I hacked them up into little bits and added them into the salad. For the sandwiches I didn't bother with the tomato and cucumber and we had a side salad instead. Lastly, I used dried herbs since I had everything I needed and didn't have to buy anything this way.

Onward to the recipe!

Tuna Everything Bagel
Courtesy Tyler Florence

Ingredients
Tuna Salad:

3 cups good quality canned tuna (packed in water), drained (This seemed like a lot. I used two of the normal sized tuna cans and I don't think it was anywhere near 3 cups)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
4 cornichons, chopped (These are just little pickles. Don't be fooled by the fancy French word!)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (2 tsp dried)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves (1 tsp dried)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves (2 tsp dried)
2 tablespoons capers, drained (I chopped these up too since the flavor is okay but the texture freaks me out if I bite into a whole one)
1 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
2 everything bagels, sliced and toasted
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced crescents (chopped small enough to add to the salad)
1 vine-ripened tomato, sliced (skipped on the sandwiches)
1 seedless cucumber, sliced (skipped on the sandwiches)
4 Bibb lettuce leaves

Directions

Begin with the tuna salad. Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. I recommend mixing everything EXCEPT the olive oil and then add it last so you can get the right amount of moisture from it. It's hard to tell if you need more or less if you add it before things are mixed up. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Take cut bagels (or whatever) and toast under a hot broiler until golden brown. While still hot smear the bottom with the cream cheese immediately. Top with a scoop of the tuna salad and then layer with red onion, tomato, cucumber and lettuce. Or, if you're me, scoop on a glob of salad and leave the snooty artful onion slinging for the experts. Add the top half of the bagel and serve.

The Verdict: This was good! In fact, I've already made it twice this week. I like that it has a little less mayo and the cream cheese between the bread and the salad is genius!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So I just posted a comment but it gave me an error, so if this is a repeat please delete me :)

This sounds so good. When I make tuna salad I only make it for me becuase nobody else will eat it. This is perfect because there are all sorts of things in here that I love and nobody else does. But it wouldn't matter because it's all for me! I love cream cheese on a bagle sandwich. Einstein Bagles turned me on to this....turkey, cream cheese, sprouts and other veggies on a bagle - yum!

Sarah said...

So I just posted a comment but it gave me an error, so if this is a repeat please delete me :)

This sounds so good. When I make tuna salad I only make it for me becuase nobody else will eat it. This is perfect because there are all sorts of things in here that I love and nobody else does. But it wouldn't matter because it's all for me! I love cream cheese on a bagle sandwich. Einstein Bagles turned me on to this....turkey, cream cheese, sprouts and other veggies on a bagle - yum!

Wizardress said...

Oooh this looks SO good- I wish I'd seen this earlier so that I could have time to whip some up to take with us.mmmm

We are off soon and I can't wait to see you.

Liz said...

newest follower , found you via TGC! I love your blog. I am the only one in the house that will eat tuna, but I am going to try this anyway! Have a great weekend!

Alea Milham said...

I read this post in my google reader last week and finally got around to trying it. It is scrumptious! I eat my tuna on lettuce rather than on bread. I like mixing in lots of yummy things (just not egg, bleh!). I chopped up the onion and added it to the tuna. Very good!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails