Friday, September 03, 2010

Friday Fragments- September 3, 2010

It's Friday! Time for fragments. Thanks as always to the lovely Mrs 4444 for hosting us.

*****

We were watching the news tonight and I asked Martijn if he ever wondered if the newscasters were wearing pants. He insisted I was insane, but now whenever he watches the news he'll be looking at the desk they sit behind and feeling mighty curious about the whole thing.

*****

I went in on Tuesday to complete the final piece of my Dutchification process. They said they'll get back to me within 4 weeks. I hope it will be sooner and I really hope I passed. I'll let you know... Unless I failed and then I might just make up a lie about them losing my results and me needing to do it again. Although, knowing how competent this system is, it might not even be a lie!

*****

My sweet friend Lori does a feature called Five O'clock Friday on her blog. You take a picture at 5 o'clock (AM or PM) and post it (or e-mail her and she'll post it for you). Seems simple enough. It really is, yet somehow 5 rolls around on Friday and it's the furthest thing from my mind. I told her she needed to start an SMS reminder service. Here's my photo from a couple weeks ago. He's our groovy turtle pot. Please ignore the fact that I'm a terrible plant parent and the tips of the leaves look like something horrible has happened to them.

Groovy Turtle

*****

I was slightly resistant to the changes that Flickr made to their pages, but I'm sorta digging the fact that you can just click on "share this" in the photo window and grab code for whatever size picture you want to post. Before you had to click on "All sizes" and then click on the size you wanted. I thought it was a lot of clicking and waiting for pages to load so this makes me rather happy.

flickrsnip

*****

And I shall leave you this week with this:

Some guy in Texas has managed to deep fry beer. I think it sounds revolting, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

The article says "Zable started experimenting. But the beer-and-dough concoction kept exploding once it hit the fryer. He kept getting burned...
Then, earlier this year, he finally found the recipe for success."


So I suspect the moral of the story is: If at first you don't succeed, fry, fry again.

Mommy's Idea

10 comments:

Coby said...

A family friend of ours was a newscaster, and often, when he was out and about interviewing folks, he had on a suit and tie from the waist up, and shorts and tennis shoes from the waist down!

I like beer, and I like fried foods, but I don't know about deep fried beer!

4 Lettre Words said...

I do webshots instead of Flickr, for some reason.

Gotta look into the 5 O'clock pic. Love that idea!

Hope you two have a great weekends...pants or not!! :o)

Amy said...

Ha! "Fry, fry again!" You are the clever one. And your randomness has always made me laugh. Do newscasters wear pants. You are just silly. And are great at getting people thinking. :)

Invader_Stu said...

Deep fried beer? I'm surprised it was not a Scotsman that came up with that.

Kristin - The Goat said...

I would never remember 5 on Friday. I sometimes forget it's Friday LOL

The less clicking the better in my book. I rarely like having my favorite sites change their layout, but most of the time it just takes a few days before you get the hang of it.

Kristin - The Goat

brainella said...

LOL. The only reason for them to wear pants is to keep warm. :)

I wonder if he was drinking some of the beer he was trying to fry. Maybe THAT was why it kept exploding...

Wizardress said...

You know- your plant does have a baby and I think I heard it say it wanted to make a home at my house LOL

That beer thing.. well that is almost as bad as fried butter- although Oprah said that wasn't bad.. The thought makes me nauseated.

I do hope that the 'powers that be' don't take 4 weeks to tell you how fabulous you are and that you can apply for citizenship.

*hugs* xxx

Zair said...

Don't they have good beer that they can drink in Texas, or something? :/

Life Abroad said...

Deep fried beer?! Wow, I thought deep-fried butter was crazy, but deep-fried beer is on a whole different level. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to try that...

Christi said...

Honestly the deep fried beer sounds better than the deep fried butter. All that oil just makes me gag thinking about it; not to say that the fried beer sounds good, just the lesser of two evils.

It makes me proud to be from Texas (both ideas come from here).

And Zair, we go have good beer, there is also some I wouldn't give to a dog but there are some very, very good beers. MMMM Shiner Bock.

As for your plant, It looks like a spider plant and if it is I have heard that those brown spots are normal for them. Some say it has something to do with water quality but others say that they will always do that. If it is making babies it must be happy so I wouldn't worry.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails